Prerequisites: Experience with object-oriented programming with a compiled language. Familiarity with SQL scripting is recommended but not required.
Configure the Android Development Environment
- Understand the strengths of the Dalvik Virtual Machine, and how it differs from standard VMs.
- Install the Android Software Development Kit.
- Automatically generate programming documentation and API specifications with Javadoc.
- Accelerate software development with Eclipse IDE and the Android Development Tools (ADT) plug-in.
Develop Custom User Interfaces using Android
- Design highly-intuitive interfaces, forms and navigation controls.
- Enable users to sort lists of data and customize the way information is displayed.
- Give layouts a professional and consistent appearance quickly by using styles and themes.
- Create "widgets" through which users can access an app from the home screen.
Build More Scalable Applications with Android Application Resources
- Use resources to separate text and images from application code for easier maintenance.
- Designate alternative resources to customize the content or layout to the specific device.
- Enable the Android app to handle changes smoothly, such as keyboard availability or screen orientation.
- Harness localized resources to tailor text, media and currencies to multiple languages and regions.
Streamline Communication Between Android's Processes
- Craft an interface around each possible user interaction with activities.
- Build services to run and manage the background processes which support your application.
- Use broadcast receivers to automatically respond to system notifications, preference setting changes and announcements from other applications.
- Understand the crucial role of intents in facilitating communication between an application's components and among applications.
- Share data across applications with Content Providers and ContentResolvers.
Integrate Location Services and Sensing into Android Applications
- Track the user's location and heading with the Location Services.
- Author a map-based Android app or integrate geolocation data into Google Maps.
- Implement SensorManager respond to physical movement of the device, including rotation, acceleration and shaking.
- Enable apps to adjust the display when the user turns the device, without losing partially-entered form data.
Access a Mobile Device's Camera and Telephone
- Allow users to take digital photographs with a device's camera from an application.
- Control the way photographs and videos render within the application's user interface.
- Place phone calls from within an application.
- View and update the device's address book from an application.
Build, Test and Publish an Android Applications
- Build and sign Android apps, allowing them to be installed on Android devices.
- Version applications to ensure that users have easy access to new features or bug fixes.
- Explore the range of Android developer tools to test and debug applications.
- Publish a finalized project to the Android Market, making it available worldwide.